Monday, July 27, 2015

Central California Long Weekend Trip

Morro Bay to San Simeon California


There is so much beauty and wonder to experience in a short 30 mile stretch along the Pacific Coast.  It lies about 1/2 way between San Francisco and Los Angeles, CA. 




I drove to Morro Bay and spent the night, went out on a harbor cruise and then hit the road. 
Sunset in Morro Bay. This photo is courtesy of Morro Bay Official Site

Harbor Cruise Time


Sorry for the blur, but I had to share this little tiff I captured.
King of the dock!  Standing tall and proud.


 An up close photo of this proud boy!  I love his mohawk!



The back side of the Fish Company while cruising by.  It was an overcast day in Morro Bay.  However that did not take away from the beauty.

Day Three -- Road Trip

Heading north on Cabrillo CA-Hwy 1 along the Pacific Coast.  As we are traveling along a very scenic drive of only 25 miles off to the right I spotted Zebras running in a pasture.  I really thought I was seeing things.  I pulled over and took in the wonder of the Pacific Ocean on one side and Zebras on the side side of the rode.




Soon I realized that these Zebras were part of the Hearst Ranch.


Hearst Castle is an amazing place and well worth the trip to tour the grounds and buildings.


 


Hearst Castle Library found via Google Images - source unkown


Next we traveled a short distance north on CA-Hwy to Piedras Blancas aka 
Elephant Seal Beach~Rookery  
The Rookery is open year round with no fee to access and take watch these marine mammals.

What an amazing creature of the ocean.  I spent so much time taking in the wonder of these magnificent Seals.  As I watched in awe, I was snapping picture after picture.  It was difficult to choose only a few shots to share.

Stand Off

 The sounds they make are incredible.
 Sun bathing 
Love Kisses or Love Spat?
I was fortunate to catch this cute Baby Seal in action.  He is covering himself in sand to stay cool.  What an adorable baby, those eyes!
 Watching this sweet baby was by far my favorite experience of the entire trip. 
Flipper Action!
Unless noted, all photos on this blog belong to Sheila R Olson/Owner of A Seaside Home
Mother Natures Elephant Seals Color Palette 

Photo source 
Then a quick 5 minute stint up the road to Piedras Blancas Light House.  Unfortunately the lighthouse was closed for visitors while I was there.  

I hope you enjoyed my excursion to Morro Bay, Hearst Castle, Elephant Seal Beach and Piedras Light House.  For more information on the magnificent Elephant Seals please check out Friends of Elephant Seals: 
http://www.elephantseal.org/   Friends of the Elephant Seal is a non-profit organization dedicated to educating people about elephant seals and other marine life and to teaching stewardship for the ocean off the central coast of California.


Contact us if you need help ideas, have a question or have a topic that you would like us to blog on.
You can find us on FacebookPinterest and Twitter, please stop by and join us as we celebrate everything seaside | coastal | beachy.



No comments:

Post a Comment